Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Stand Read-A-Long Check-In 2

Technically I came late to this read-a-long so this is actually my first check-in, but it's the second of the read-a-long.  I should have posted this Thursday but I've been super busy.  So without further ado, let's get talking about The Stand by Stephen King. 



Where are you currently at in the book (e.g., page, chapter, description)?

Chapter 39, 30% into the book, Kindle locations 8215-20


What are your thoughts so far?



I forgot how much I love this entire book.  I've re-read parts in the past, but it's been years since I read cover to cover.  I'd forgotten some characters (Lloyd's awesome lawyer) and scenes (Flagg getting his new papers from that dude)The last chapter I read, chapter 38, is one of my all time favorite chapters.  It describes the second wave of deaths after the superflu has done it's damage.  It reads a bit like the Darwin award books, and I love it.  I was lucky enough to read The Stand for the first time after they re-released the complete and unabridged version, so I've never had to miss out on all those special parts that were cut out.  It's been nice hanging out with characters I know so well again, I missed Stu and Nick and Fran.  I did not miss Harold, although I'm more sympathetic to him this time around, I still find his manner of speech to be ridiculous and pretentious.  One thing I didn't catch the first time or two around was that the time period of the book is a bit wonky.  King originally wrote the book in the 70's and the unabridged version got updated in the early 90's, but a lot of things got left in there that hints to the 70's (Vietnam for one) that it distracts me now and then.  Which is fine, I love the story well enough that I don't care that Stu is still young but somehow was in the Vietnam war.  I don't get why the decision was made to change the year in the book, but I can roll with it.  Although I'm only so 30% thru the book at the moment, I'm surprised by how many characters haven't shown up on the pages yet, but I'm full of anticipation.  M-O-O-N, that spells anticipation! 
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I need to go check out where chapter 39 is! We are pretty close to the same point in the book I think! I've had to set it aside this weekend to make sure my book club book is read by next week though. Then, I will be right back to it!! In the meantime, I am definitely enjoying the characters again. It doesn't seem like it's been more than a decade since I last read about them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book, have read it several times! It is just so intense and well-written!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva