Saturday, April 17, 2010

UR here

One of the first things I downloaded for my Kindle was the novella UR that my main story man Stephen King wrote exclusively for Kindle users.  I love short stories, I wish more of my favorite authors wrote them, and I always look forward to Stephen King short stories and novellas.  In UR a young professor orders a Kindle out of spite after getting dumped.  His ex accused him of being technologically out of touch (her question;- "why can't you read books on the computer like everybody else?") and he fantasizes about her coming across him as he reads his Kindle and he is ready with a snappy, stinging comeback. His Kindle arrives the day after he orders it, although he didn't request overnight shipping, and because it's a Stephen King story, the Kindle is pink... so immediately something is afoot.

For those unfamiliar with Kindles, in addition to being able to download books from Amazon wirelessly, the e-reader also has an Experimental section.  Right now this consists of basic web services (you can access Kindle books free, but if you want to look at Wikipedia it'll cost you a bit).  In UR, the pink Kindle has a few extra experimentals.  Soon our hero is discovering that in alternate realities some of his favorite authors have written quite a few more books (or less, it all depends on what reality).  He basically gets to live every book lover's ultimate fantasy (What if Margaret Mitchell had written her own sequel to Gone With the Wind, what if you're favorite writer was more prolific in another reality?).  And it's not just alternate books he's discovering, but newspapers too, and this is where the adventure really begins.

I loved this story, and I don't think you have to be a Kindle, Sony E-Reader, or Nook owner to appreciate it.  It's got humor, drama, revenge, tension, mystery, sword fights, true love... wait, scratch the last two- that's the Princess Bride.

UR gets a Midnight Book Rating of Midnight, perfect for the witching hour and a perfect length for a good night's read.

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. OK, so not fair. You have got me totally wanting to read this. Alas, I have no Kindle, nor any plans to have one in the near future. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should still be able to buy it from Amazon and read it on the computer! I wanted a Kindle when it first came out, but I'm glad I waited. Lots of books are coming out in Kindle format, but there's still tons that aren't. Not that I will ever give up buying traditional books, but it is less of a burden on my shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my Kindle. I'm not a fan of King but if I do stumble across this book, I would pick it up. Thanks for highlighting it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva