Sunday, September 23, 2012

Carrie Readalong Discussion of Part Two: The Prom


First off, a huge thank you to my amazing co-host Midnyte Reader for coming up with the discussion questions! 

So here they are:

1. There is a part quoted form "My Name is Susan Snell" when she stated that she is not really sorry that Tommy is dead anymore, because the idea of him was too perfect.  I was kind of shocked by this.  What do you think of this?

2. Miss Desjardin talked to Carrie about her own prom.  And for Carrie, the prom was magical up to a point.  Did you have any glamorized feelings about your own prom?  

3. When Sue was at home on prom night she said that she was still uncomfortable about her own motives and was afraid to examine them too closely in case she discovered selfishness.  Can you elaborate on this?  

4. Do you think that Tommy could have fallen for Carrie?

5. Tell me what you think of the significance or symbolism of blood.  (Tommy pricked his finger, Mrs. White cut herself, Sue either got her period late or lost a pregnancy.)

6. If that prank had not been played on Carrie at the prom, what kind of life do you think she would have had?
 
7.  What did you think of Billy and Chris's relationship?
 
Bonus question: Did you catch the mistake Stephen King made with regards to Carrie's dad?  Courtney from Abducted by Books did!  See below for the answer.  
 
My Answers:
 
1. There is a part quoted form "My Name is Susan Snell" when she stated that she is not really sorry that Tommy is dead anymore, because the idea of him was too perfect.  I was kind of shocked by this.  What do you think of this? 
I do get it.  I think maybe Sue felt Tommy was too good to be true, that had he lived he would have eventually let her down- like all humans do because we're, well, humans. Instead he gets to remain untainted by age or actions.  Their love is forever frozen in time.  Plus, it may be that's how Sue moves on with her life, because she has to feel guilt over helping to set things in motion.

2. Miss Desjardin talked to Carrie about her own prom.  And for Carrie, the prom was magical up to a point.  Did you have any glamorized feelings about your own prom?  
I didn't go to prom, it really wasn't my thing. So no magical moments for me, but also no goat's blood dumped on me, so that's a plus.  Although, does anyone wonder why that goat blood didn't congeal before prom night?

3. When Sue was at home on prom night she said that she was still uncomfortable about her own motives and was afraid to examine them too closely in case she discovered selfishness.  Can you elaborate on this?  
I do think there was a certain amount of selfishness involved.  If the she hadn't participated in the shower incident than she would never of thought to help Carrie go to prom.  Although it's very mature of her to seek atonement, I think it's pretty hard to separate the fact that Sue was getting something out of it too.  In a way she uses Carrie to distance herself from Chris and the mindless high school machine.  

4. Do you think that Tommy could have fallen for Carrie?
I think his feelings that night were because it was prom and Carrie was a sweet girl.  I think he really loved Sue.  However, in the long run, I could see Tommy settling down with Carrie or someone like her.  Sue had bigger dreams, whereas Tommy seemed to realize that his future was tied up with the town.  He probably would have been okay having his dad's life.

5. Tell me what you think of the significance or symbolism of blood.  (Tommy pricked his finger, Mrs. White cut herself, Sue either got her period late or lost a pregnancy.)
This may be too deep for me, but I'll try.  The book begins with blood, and ends with blood (Carrie's and then Sue's).  While Carrie's, Tommy's and Mrs. White's blood was a sign of things to come, I think Sue's was the opposite, it was a closing of the events.  As if her miscarriage (if that's what it was) was the last sacrifice that had to be made for Carrie's pain and rage. 

6. If that prank had not been played on Carrie at the prom, what kind of life do you think she would have had? 
I don't know.  If prom hadn't of happened, if Carrie had graduated unharmed, she still would have had to face a life with her mom.  I think after re-discovering her powers after she started her period set a countdown in motion.  Adults might be better than teens, but people are still cruel.  Carrie would have been hurt again, and with her powers and years of being bullied, coupled with her bizarre upbringing, I still think she would have snapped.  Would it have been as bad?  Maybe not... but then, maybe so. 
 
7.  What did you think of Billy and Chris's relationship?
I was really fascinated by how toxic it was.  In the movie version, Billy isn't nearly as evil, whereas Chris is portrayed as being a lot more evil.  Without Billy, I don't know that Chris would have gone through with her plan.  Maybe just talking about it, blowing off that steam would have been enough.  For Billy though, he had so much resentment built up.  If he'd had Carrie's powers he probably would have leveled the town a long time ago.  Chris, for all her tough talk, was really in over her head with Billy.  Although in her own way, Chris was a nasty piece.  She probably would have grown up some, but of course she never got the chance.  If she'd had a little of Sue's self-awareness then there wouldn't have been book. ;)
 
Bonus question: Did you catch the mistake Stephen King made with regards to Carrie's dad?
Okay, not only did I not catch this, but this is the fourth or fifth time I've read Carrie.  Here's the mistake: The book clearly states in Part One that Carrie's dad, Ralph, dies BEFORE Carrie was even born.  But in Part Two, Mrs. White thinks of how she should have killed Carrie when she was a baby (about one?) and that Ralph stopped her.  I kind of love that the mistake is fairly large, but I'm really shocked I didn't catch it before.  I'm not always a super sleuth when I'm reading, but it's a pretty big mistake.  Good catch, Courtney!


Can't wait to see your answers, and don't forget to be on Twitter tonight!  I'll be on there to discuss Carrie from 6pm EST until 7pm, although we'll go to 8 if enough people join in.  Just look for #CarrieProm!
 
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I looove your answer to number 5. I definitely think that everything symbolized death, but I never thought that Sue's blood was the last sacrifice for Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gross. Maybe the blood did congeal. On the top. Like pudding. :/

    Great answers. :D I like your insight!

    I just saw what time the twitter chat is going down. I will do my best to pop in since it starts in 10 minutes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think much about the pig blood not congealing but I was really curious about why it had frozen over night. I mean proms are in Spring time at the end of the school year so I don't see how it could have been cold enough to freeze it.

    I don't know that King meant for Sue's blood to be Carrie's last sacrifice but I really liked the idea of it! It makes total sense.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva