Thursday, September 27, 2012

Zombies Vs. Unicorns

Zombies Vs. Unicorns
By Holly Black, Justine Labalestier, et al
From Goodreads:
It's a question as old as time itself: which is better, the zombie or the unicorn? In this anthology, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier (unicorn and zombie, respectively), strong arguments are made for both sides in the form of short stories. Half of the stories portray the strengths—for good and evil—of unicorns and half show the good (and really, really bad-ass) side of zombies. Contributors include many bestselling teen authors, including Cassandra Clare, Libba Bray, Maureen Johnson, Meg Cabot, Scott Westerfeld, and Margo Lanagan. This anthology will have everyone asking: Team Zombie or Team Unicorn?
Midnight Thoughts:


Of course you probably already realize that I'm Team Zombie.  Midnight Book Girls aren't known for frolicking with the horned ones unless they're devils, but because of the awesome writing abilities of all of these writers, I have to say I don't mind unicorns.  In fact, I'd love to a miniature zombie unicorn.  I can honestly say that I enjoyed all of the stories (yes, even the unicorn ones) and it was awesome to read the introductions by Holly Black and Justine Labalestier before each story.  All the stories were imaginative, and often off the wall.  In "Love Will Tear Us Apart" (which I knew would be good because the author had the good taste to name the story after a Joy Division song) you have a male zombie in love with a non-zombie male, and it wasn't the only story to feature main characters that were gay or lesbian, but it never feels forced or made to feel like a big deal.  Meg Cabot made me laugh with "Princess Pretty Pants", and yes, you guessed correctly, it was a Team Unicorn story.  And of course my girl Maureen Johnson had her story "Children of the Revolution" which could totally be showing on Fear Net right now (no surprise that Johnson's Team Zombie).  Overall there were a lot a great stories, and even the ones I didn't love were readable.  Plus, it's hard to find "Z" books for all of you taking the A-Z challenge!

Zombies Vs. Unicorns gets a Midnight Book Rating of:

What paranormal creatures would you like to see battle it out?  I wouldn't mind reading about Witches Vs. Vampires, or Werewolves vs. Mermaids.
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I loved this one! And Princess Pretty Pants was one of my favorite in the anthology. Did you like How to Train Your Baby Killer Unicorn? There are two novels set in that world. I bought them... I need to read them. And I think I LOVED Naomi Novik's story in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really never wanted to read this book because of the...yep, the unicorns. But another book got me over my irrational fear of sparkley cuteness about unicorns so I may try it. Your description has peaked my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, unicorns. I want to see mermaids versus fairies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm Team Unicorn, but I loved a lot of the Zombie stories. Children of The Revolution being my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Werewolves vs mermaids lol.

    Would it be cheating to read only the unicorn stories and count this in my A to Z challenge? ;)

    Or am I really going to have to suck it up and read a flippin zombie book?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I feel so stupid. I didn't realize this one was short stories. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! You only just read this? Wow. It's so great. As short story collections go, it's one of the ones with the most consistently good stories. Princess Pretty Pants WAS hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva