Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Losing John Coffey Again...

Image from Hollywood Gossip
 There are no authors I love quite like Stephen King, and there are few of his books that rip your heart out like The Green Mile does.  And even rarer- a Stephen King movie that gets the character completely, wondrously right. I cared about the gentle giant, John Coffey, before his story came to the big screen, but Michael Clarke Duncan brought the character to life in a way that's so rare for us book lovers.  It's like King's words shaped the actor on the screen, when actually it was Duncan's skill that made it magical.

Michael Clarke Duncan passed away yesterday, and it brought back the overwhelming sadness that John Coffey's death brought to The Green Mile.  I kept hoping it was a hoax, or that there'd be a last minute re-write to bring him back to life.  Sadly, a great actor has gone, but for me Duncan will live on forever as one of my favorite characters.  You see, I just can't separate the actor from the role, and John Coffey will live on forever in pages and on the screen. Rest in peace, Michael Clarke Duncan, I wish you safe passage.

“We each owe a death, there are no exceptions, I know that, but sometimes, oh God, the Green Mile is so long.”


Stephen King, The Green Mile, Part 6: Coffey on the Mile

Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. I agree completely. I never read THE GREEN MILE, but it is one of my all time favorite movies. I know it wouldn't rank as high if Michael wasn't in it. He brought the story home for me and will forever be John Coffey to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book, but the movie was really powerful. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That movie was amazing, very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't recognize his name when it was mentioned, but I totally know his face. Sorry to see him go so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so sad that he's gone but awfully nice of you for doing this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post and so sweet. I loved him in Green Mile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is so sad! I didn't know he passed away. I loved his portrayal of Coffey. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have not read that book or seen the movie, but that was a lovely tribute :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back before my cousins Kenny and Chelle had kids we used to have movie nights and when The Green Mile came out I begged and begged and begged for that to be one of the movies that we watched. But nobody else wanted to watch it with me. When Christmas came along my cousins gave me the dvd as my gift. After I watched it I literally sat on my bed bawling for 15 minutes before I could talk to anyone. And then I called my cousins and yelled at them for forcing me to watch that movie by myself!
    I have yet to find the courage to ever rewatch that movie.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva