Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Carrie Readalong, Part One: Blood Sports Discussion


Carrie Read-a-Long Discussion Post: Part One: Blood Sports 

Congratulations, you are now almost half way through Carrie!  According to my Kindle we are about 47% through. Tonight I'll host a Twitter discussion (starting at 9pm EST, under the hashtag #CarrieBS). I thought this would be a good place to pause and discuss what we've read so far.  Stop and see what my co-host Midnyte Reader is thinking so far. Here's some questions to consider:

1. Is this your first Stephen King book?

2. What do you think of the style Carrie is written in?

3.  Do you think the bullying/attack on Carrie that occurs in the late 1970's in the book could happen today? 

4.  What are your thoughts on Carrie's mother?

5.  Young Carrie brings the rain of rocks down on her house at the tender age of three, but then there are no major events for years. Why do you think her powers remained fairly quiet until now?  What role does her mother play in Carrie's use of her power?

6. Do you believe that telekinesis exists?

7. What is your favorite moment so far?

8. What do you think of Sue's plan to have Tommy take Carrie to the prom?

9. Any predictions (um, only if you haven't read this before or seen the movie! ;)

10.  Just how crazy is Mrs. White?!

Please leave the link to your answers in the comment or you can just answer in the comments area, whichever works for you.  Stop by Midnyte Reader for her take on Carrie so far!

Here are my answers:

1. No, this is not my first Stephen King novel, and it's not even my first time (or second) that I'm reading Carrie.  It's not the first book I ever read of King, that'd be Fire-starter, and it actually took me a long while to get to.  I think because I'd seen the movie so many times when I was a kid I just has assumed I'd read Carrie before, but the first time I was about 22.  Ugh, so long ago!

2. I love the style it's written in, but I can tell it's an earlier King novel.  But I like the  jump in between characters, and the excerpts from official books, reports and newspapers.  I think that King could do an even better job now... but then Carrie would be 1100 pages long. ;)  I could do without the word Popular being capitalized though...

3. I think the constant bullying of Carrie definitely could still take place.  I don't know that the shower attack would still happen, I'd like to believe that there would be enough kids aware of how cruel it was, but I think it could take place on a smaller scale.  Bullying has been around as soon as there was more than three kids on the face of the planet.  What happened to Carrie in the showers was extreme, but I think when you add someone like Chris, who is popular and mean, to the mix, some people would follow her lead simply because she's the one doing the bullying. 

4. Mrs. White is straight up CRAZY!!  Seriously, I would love to know more of this woman's past to have shaped her into such a crazy mess.  The book talks about the TK gene, but even if it's passive in Mrs. White, I'd be willing to bet she's got some dominant mental illness genes at work- definitely more than one.  But... I think she truly believes in her own version of God, and that makes her dangerous.  I really think Carrie's powers are the one thing that has prevented her mother from killing her.  If Carrie had just been a normal, powerless kid, then no doubt she wouldn't have the strength to fight off an attack from her religiously skewed mama.

5. I think maybe the rock incident was so traumatic that Carrie buried the incident deep in her mind.  So while other things occur during times of deep emotional stress, she doesn't necessarily make the connection until the day of the shower attack.  In a way, Carrie has begun to unravel.  Years of torment at the hands of her classmates has worn her down, and has allowed her tap into her powers again.  Couple that with her mom's violent religious beliefs, and you have Carrie suddenly wide awake to her powers.  If Carrie's upbringing had been more stable and loving, her powers might have never really been an issue.  Strange things might have happened still, during early childhood and puberty, but I really doubt that it'd be something she'd be so aware of.

6. Hmm, yes, I guess I believe that it's possible.  To the extent of Carrie's powers?  Probably not.  But I do think there is so much about our brains and abilities that we don't know.  But, I'm skeptical.  I would definitely have to see it to believe it.

7. My favorite moment, BY FAR, was when Chris's dad and the Principal face off.  Sadly, his "my precious daughter" routine is all to familiar in this day and age when kids can do no wrong, and his sue-happy threats were nicely smacked down by Principal Grayle.  I was literally cheering!  I hope in the new Carrie re-make that that scene makes it in the movie.  I don't think until this re-read that I caught that Principal Grayle was not the same Assistant Principal that Desjardin takes Carrie to see after the shower incident.

8. I actually get why some people questioned Sue's motives after the fact, but I am surprised that so many people just assumed that it was nasty on her part.  But I think that Sue and Tommy were a bit more evolved than some of their classmates, and that Sue was really trying to atone.  Tommy loved Sue enough to want to help her, and I think he genuinely didn't mind taking Carrie.  Tommy is that rare person that people love and like not just because he's Popular (with a capital P!) but because he's got that magnetism that draws people to him.  Because of it, he's able to just be himself.  Unlike Sue, who is tormented by who she wants to be compared to who she is, Tommy is completely at home in his own skin.  He's not perfect, but he's also not so freaking concerned about what everyone is going to think of him.  Ugh, how I wish I'd been like that as a teen!  I'd settle for being like that now, but I'm much more of a Sue.  I'm a people-pleaser in the extreme, and I always over analyze things.  But I think Sue had good intentions, even if I think it was more for herself than for Carrie.  She should have known that Carrie going to the prom, especially after Chris is denied her tickets, would be a bad thing.

9. None here, because I already know!

10. She is so crazy!!!  Seriously, there are few characters in books that I have disliked as much as I dislike Mrs. White.  She's the type of person who would drown a sack full of black kittens because she believes them to be evil.  And she's such a hypocrite!  How much better for Carrie if her bikini clad neighbor had taken her away that day!  Or if one of those rocks had killed Mrs. White.  Sadly, that didn't happen, and whatever chance kids have in the beginning of life to have a normal kid experience was ruined when Mrs. White squeezed Carrie out.  I mean, I get that she's all super religious, but her belief system is so messed up that it bares little resemblance to any actual biblical teachings. I'm just going to say it, Mrs. White is one crazy bitch.  There.  I said it.


So, don't forget to read Part Two: Prom Night by the 23rd!  And I'll see ya'll on Twitter tonight!
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. Great discussion questions! I'm so glad you are hosting this readalong. :)

    This is a reread for me, too, but I'm enjoying revisiting the story all over again. Plus, I'm bad at retaining what I've read long term.

    I agree Mrs. White has to have some mental illness going on. I like your suggestion that Carrie's powers protected her growing up. I can't help but think Carrie would have died at a young age (at the hand of her mother) otherwise.

    I had the same thought about not remembering the assistant principal and the principal being two separate authorities.

    http://bookden.blogspot.com/2012/09/carrie-readalong-blood-sport-discussion.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is the first time I caught that. I remember being surprised by how caught up the principal was suddenly on Carrie's situation and how he could remember his name and stand up to Chris's dad. This time around I was all, Ah! I Get It! lol

      Delete
  2. Oh I loved the scene in the Principal's office too! That was so awesome! Especially since I work in a school district. I think that your take that Carrie buried the rock incident is a good one and that the years of being "beaten down" by abuse from her mother and her peers is interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet you have some stories to tell, Pam! I kind of lived vicariously through that scene, because it's just nice to see people like Chris's dad knocked down a peg. Of course, I am looking forward to Carrie's revenge too!

      Delete
  3. Since I may not be joining you in the twitter chat tonight, here are my answers:
    1. Is this your first Stephen King book?
    This was my first Stephen King book and the only one that I finished. I tried getting through Gerald's Game and got grossed out. However, I have ready Carrie before.

    2. What do you think of the style Carrie is written in?

    I like it fairly well. The reports, etc. are neat as are the neighbor witnesses but some of the parentheses with Carrie's thoughts (i.e. "(what o what o what)") gets on my nerves.

    3. Do you think the bullying/attack on Carrie that occurs in the late 1970's in the book could happen today?

    Absolutely. I think the laws are catching up on bullying but try telling that to a kid that is bullied every single day.

    4. What are your thoughts on Carrie's mother?
    She's a religious nutbag. She's fanatical, she takes the Bible and turns it to make out her own daughter to be evil and she thinks boobs are "dirty pillows".

    5. Young Carrie brings the rain of rocks down on her house at the tender age of three, but then there are no major events for years. Why do you think her powers remained fairly quiet until now? What role does her mother play in Carrie's use of her power?

    I think Carrie was scared of her mother's reaction if she used her powers again like she did when she was 3. However, now that she's grown up, she just doesn't care and wants her own life and to be normal.

    6. Do you believe that telekinesis exists?

    I believe in the Jedi powers but that's about it. However, when I read this back in middle school, I believed in it and tried to be nice to everyone just in case...

    7. What is your favorite moment so far?

    My favorite moment is in Tommy's car when Sue falls apart from the guilt of tormenting Carrie. I really like Sue's character as she seems the only one willing to sacrifice something to help Carrie become "normal".

    8. What do you think of Sue's plan to have Tommy take Carrie to the prom?

    I think it is done with good intentions and I get the feeling Tommy would do a lot for Sue, but I don't think Sue had the maturity to see what this would mean to Chris, the clique or the rest of the school...and she certainly didn't know what would happen to Carrie...

    9. Any predictions (um, only if you haven't read this before or seen the movie! ;)
    Have read it twice and seen the movie a gazillion times.

    10. Just how crazy is Mrs. White?!

    She's batty as hell. I tend to stay away from fundamentalists for this very reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as the reader, we kind of are Sue. Because I think the average person does sometimes find themselves giving into peer pressure and disliking parts of their own personality. Sue is us. ;)

      I can't wait to get you to read your second Stephen King novel in October!!

      Delete
  4. I can't do it! I tried because I thought I could read him without nightmares but it just didn't happen. I love Stephen's writing. The Stand is my all time favorite book but Carrie (IT, ect) scare the heck out of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, Felicia! Have you read his Eyes of the Dragon? That's more of a fairy tale book, and one of my all time favorite. Of course, you could always do what Joey from Friends did, and put the scary book in the freezer so you could sleep at night (not recommending this if you have the ebook though!).

      Delete
  5. Well I finished Carrie several days ago and I still can't stop thinking about it. Amazing how an unassuming book of less than 200 pages (my Kindle version, anyway) could pack that much of a punch!

    Anyway, I finally answer all the questions. Having finished the book, I had to comb my answers over with a fine-toothed comb to make sure I wasn't spoiling anything for anybody who wants to read them but hasn't made it that far yet. : )

    My answers here: http://www.the-dailybookmark.com/2012/09/s-king-fall-readalong-discussion.html

    PS. Thanks for hosting this - and great questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessie! I left everything literally to the last minute, so the day before I posted the questions I had to read the first half and think of what to ask. Then I had to wake up early before work to get the post up in time. Thankfully I picked a short book to start off with! ;)

      Delete
  6. I am so far behind I haven't started Carrie yet, nor have I finshed Cinder (now overdue at the library) nor The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's nest (my mom is sad) nor have I started the book club book (I still have time!)

    Anyway I WILL read this book AND answer the questions soon, hopefully this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Kate! My answers are up, but I think I agreed with you on a lot if not all of them.

    I'm not sure but I believe you know where to find my blog but I'll include a link on the off chance one of your faithful followers cares about what I have to say!

    http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com/2012/09/abducted-by-carrie-read-long-part-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I just finished reading part one and I am actually disappointed that it's not really that scary. I am able to put it down no problem. In fact it makes me question my fear of The Tommyknockers. But I am so not ready to go there yet.

    My answers will be up tomorrow morning. I find it funny that you don't like King's use of capitolization and I love it. Your favorite moment is not mine, but I did love that scence in the principals office too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva