Sunday, March 25, 2012

3.25.11 Sundays In Bed With...

Sorry this is so late, but allergies kept me in bed with... Sleep!  But with no further ado, I'm spending this Sunday In Bed With...
Cozy Mysteries!

Okay, bear with me while I gush a little.  Friday was a very busy, hectic day for me, but I was determined to go to my first ever author signing, so I met up with Kim from On The Wings of Books at the Short Pump Barnes and Noble to meet Ellery Adams and Lorraine Bartlett/Lorna Barrett/LL Bartlett.  Ellery Adams is also one half of Lucy Arlington (the other author that makes up Lucy Arlington lives in Bermuda), whose first book is Buried in a Book.

Lorna Barrett is on the left, and I was excited to pick up the first in her new series A Crafty Killing, as well as the second book in the Booktown series, Bookmarked for Death.  It turns out Lorna is writing powerhouse- she writes more on vacations then most people write in a lifetime.  In addition to the 3 known aliases she writes under, there's a 4th mystery one she won't, and probably can't, reveal.  Which is kind of cool for a mystery author.  

Ellery Adams is on the right, and she was so amazing and funny.  Kim and I were pretty nervous, but she completely set us at ease, and it was fun hearing her talk about fellow authors that have been to the Virginia Festival of the Book (sadly, it was too late for Kim and I to attend, but we are so on board next year). I picked up The Last Word, which is the 3rd book in her Books by the Bay series, and picked up Buried in a Book that she helped co-author.  We'd actually read her book A Killer Plot for book club last year, so I can't wait to tell the other book club members this upcoming weekend about the book signing.


I'm so glad I went to this book signing!  I'm also really glad it was authors that I've actually already read and enjoyed.  I feel so much more relaxed about going to BEA and meeting authors there, since Lorraine and Ellery were so... normal.  Well, normal by book lover's standards. I don't know what I was expecting, but it was definitely better that I could have imagined.  Plus we got swag bags full of cool book marks, buttons, and more.  My cat Riley particularly liked the ribbon on some of the plastic bags....

Speaking of Riley, he's gone all Career Tribute on me, and this is what he's spending his Sundays In Bed With:

Should I be worried?  

So what book's in your bed this Sunday?  

Comment below, or link to your own Sundays In Bed With post! 
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. That's cool that you got to go to that book signing! I totally want to go to more! It's such a fun thing to do, even though it is very nerve-racking! I haven't heard of these authors but I'll have to check them out!

    And I finally participated in this meme today, so here's my link! Sundays in Bed With... (1)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I imagine the John Green tour was packed, but the book signing at B&N was much more smaller on scale, in fact Kim and I were the first ones there, and then met up with a nice librarian while the two authors set up. So basically we actually got a chance to really chat with them without having hundreds of screaming fans behind us. It was really nice, and I'm definitely going to attend more! But I really wish I'd gone to see John Green when he came to D.C., but I was too chicken. I think it's awesome that ya'll had the nerve to go! I'm ready to stop being so freaked out about this! ;)

      Delete
  2. Well, I am sorry that you were sick this morning but I am so glad that you had such an awesome Friday! Maybe we could go the Virginia Festival of books next year. I have only been to the John Green book signing but I would like to go to more.

    I've already gotten up from listening to Boyfriend List this morning and now I think I might spend some time with Why We Broke Up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would be awesome fun, Bittner! Let's go ahead and plan on that then!

      Delete
  3. Allergies... right. Just kidding! I have good news for you and good news for me. For you - "Probability" (I have decided that is now going to be the only way I refer to it) is not an ebook so you may borrow it. For me - my foot feels so much better I could dance! But I won't because then it'll probably hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for foot! And yay for Probability not being an ebook! ;)

      Delete
  4. I loooove signings. I wish I could have gone... When and where is this Virginia Festival of Books? The LA Festival of Books is coming up and it is the only reason I am sad to no longer live there. (Maureen Johnson will be there!! and I will not... :(...)

    http://www.thefakesteph.com/2012/03/sundays-in-bed-with-and-thoughts-on.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The VA Festival was this past Saturday (the 24th). It's free for attendees, but they do have this great luncheon which is about $45 bucks, but you sit at a table with an actual author. I think Ellery goes every year since she's lives in VA. She was talking about past guest speakers like Lee Childs (who I guess has amazing eyes and is super funny) and others and she was just so amusing. I really can't wait until next year! It's in Charlottesville so it's not too far away. Sadly I had to work Sat and the luncheon was already sold out. 2013!

      Delete
  5. Riley is soooo cute! Uh..handsome. So handsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Riley is cute, handsome and soooo spoiled. ;)

      Delete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva