Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Girl In The Green Raincoat Review

The Girl in the Green Raincoat 
by Laura Lippman
From Goodreads:
In the third trimester of her pregnancy, Baltimore private investigator Tess Monaghan is under doctor's orders to remain immobile. Bored and restless, reduced to watching the world go by outside her window, she takes small comfort in the mundane events she observes . . . like the young woman in a green raincoat who walks her dog at the same time every day. Then one day the dog is running free and its owner is nowhere to be seen. Certain that something is terribly wrong, and incapable of leaving well enough alone, Tess is determined to get to the bottom of the dog walker's abrupt disappearance, even if she must do so from her own bedroom. But her inquisitiveness is about to fling open a dangerous Pandora's box of past crimes and troubling deaths . . . and she's not only putting her own life in jeopardy but also her unborn child's.
Previously serialized in the New York Times, and now published in book form for the very first time, The Girl in the Green Raincoat is a masterful Hitchcockian thriller from one of the very best in the business: multiple award-winner Laura Lippman.
My Thoughts: This is my first Lippman novel, and despite the fact that this is a book that is part of a series I haven't read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the characters were interesting, often fun and quirky, and I was equally curious about the girl in the green raincoat. Although there were some plot twists I saw coming, I didn't have everything figured out, and what I did expect still made for a great read. I plan on reading more Lippman novels in the future. And I'll be buying my own copy of this book because I adore the cover!  It was also a nice treat to read a book completely out of order, as this is book #11 in the Tess Monaghan series but my very first.  I didn't feel lost or left out, and felt an immediate connection to the characters.  Makes for a great rainy day read, and it's short enough to be a good addition to any Readathon pile. 
  
Speaking of Readathon, Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon is coming up soon!  I need to start working on my own pile o'books!

The Girl in the Green Raincoat gets a Midnight Book Rating of:  

Any series you crashed into the middle of?
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. The summary sounded amazing so I'm glad you liked it. I totally want to read it now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the one I wanted to try, I didn't realise it was book 11 though, not a fan of long series, I may just read it as a stand alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like series you can just jump into without having read the previous books. This one sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to read one of her novels last year and I could not get into it. I don't think it was part of this series though.

    I think you need several mini readathons to take care of your TBR shelf lol. I think doing one is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I didn't know this was number 11. I love the cover as well. Can't wait for Dewey's readathon. My favorite event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like the cover! And I love that you are totally enjoying just throwing yourself into the middle of series! Can't wait for the readathon! We were able to schedule book club for the week before the readathon!!! So I will finally be able to fully participate!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva