Thursday, March 8, 2012

Feature and Follow #87

I haven't done this meme in a long time, so I thought I'd give it a whirl!



Today's question is:

Q: Have you ever looked at book’s cover and thought, This is going to horrible? But, was instead pleasantly surprised? Show us the cover and tell us about the book.


You know, gorgeous covers stick in my mind, but bad ones tend to fade in my memory.  A recent book I read who's cover I wasn't impressed by was Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris.  I was a little wary of reading this book because although I've read her Sookie Stackhouse series, I didn't know if I wanted to read about another series of books with a Sookie like heroine.  And the cover didn't really erase my doubts.

Although I do have a physical copy of this book, I ended up listening to it on audio, which is a great equalizer when it comes to book covers.  You can't hear a bad cover on audio!  And I ended up really liking Grave Sight, which features the very un-Sookie like Harper Connelly.  It felt more like a real mystery and less like a paranormal soap opera- not that I'm against paranormal soap operas, I am Team Eric after all.

Anyway, I get the whole picture frame tie in, but the colors are pastel-ish, and the title of the book is way to sloppy and hard to see with that horrible pink wallpaper behind it.  I just don't dig it.  I think maybe all the beautiful YA covers of the last few years have turned me into a cover snob.  I hope not!  Because there are plenty of pretty books that contain horrible stories inside.  But that, my friends, is a Feature and Follow topic for another day.

So, what's your Ugly Duckling cover/Beautiful Swan story pick?

And if you follow me, be sure to let me know so I can return the favor!

And please feel free to sign up for my Signed Giveaway of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  There's still plenty of time left, and you can give my blogger friends some follow love too!
Pin It!

29 comments:

  1. Hopping through. Definitely a dumb looking cover. Not attractive at all.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that cover isn't very attractive is it? It does make me wonder why they're holding up paintings over their faces. Is it symbolic? Does it have anything to do with the story? Hmmm, well, at least it makes me curious. But that color? Ick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, there is a couple of characters that have their family pictures prominently displayed, so it has a tie to the plot. But the colors are hideous.

      Delete
  3. I agree...not a great cover. Though I am glad to hear that you liked the book! I'll have to check it out.

    Check out my Follow Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might actually end up liking it more than the Sookie books... Although Tolliver is no Eric.

      Delete
  4. Alexander Skarsgard. Sigh. :) I haven't read this one yet, but I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I'd be so vehemently Team Eric if I wasn't able to mentally picture Alexander Skarsgard when reading the Sookie books.

      Delete
    2. Yes, you would! Because Alexander Skarsgard or no Alexander Skarsgard, Bill Compton is still butt face!

      Delete
  5. Oh that cover! It's hideous and intriguing at the same time!! But so are all of Charlaine's book covers ;)

    New GFC follower :)

    Here's my #FF .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harris has a lot of hideous covers!! New follower here...I love your blog, I added your button to my blogroll :)
    My Friday Hops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow! I'll be returning the favor. :)

      Delete
  7. I would pick...

    The Host by Stephanie Meyer (loved the book--hated the cover)
    Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Host cover is kind of meh for mee too. I'll check out the cover or Kiss of Midnight though!

      Delete
  8. Hi there :) just hopping through.

    Agreeing with you about the cover. I just saw this one the other day and thought it may be for kids :O

    I'm also your newest follower :) Here is my choice...

    My Feature and Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jussy! I'll hop on over and give you a follow too!

      Delete
  9. Yes - those are even worse than the some of the Sookie covers! LOVE your banner - reminds me of Coraline :)

    New follower, both Linky and GFC!

    Here's our FF

    Jamie@Addicted2Heroines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the Sookie covers normally have some glitter... wait, I made that sound like a good thing. o.O

      Thanks for the follow, I'll be returning the follow love!

      Delete
  10. New Follower.
    Here is mine: http://nancydigirolamo.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/feature-and-follow-friday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy, I'll visit your site and give you a follow back!

      Delete
  11. Yes this definately is an awful cover, new follower, here's mine

    http://headstuckinabook.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/feature-and-follow-friday-18.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the title of your blog! I'll come and give you a follow back!

      Delete
  12. I like charlaine, but this cover doesn't help at all...
    I’m a new gfc follower.
    http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2012/03/feature-13.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it really doesn't help. And it's not like someone didn't spend a lot of time designing this- it takes a lot of work to design that cover. Someone really should have edited the colors!

      Thanks for the follow, I'll be returning the favor!

      Delete
  13. That cover is atrocious! The scifi book club did up some nice covers for the Sookie onminbus versions that I loved.

    New follower via Twitter. My FF Post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dislike that cover too. most of the colors do not blend together well.
    I'm a new follower by GFC.
    Happy Friday!
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't like this cover at all!

    New follower
    http://katesbooklife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, yeah, that's a bad cover. And frankly, I think it's why I haven't picked up any of her other series. But I'm glad to know that you liked it in spite of the cover!

    Team Eric all the way!

    My FF/TGIF

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva