Thursday, October 14, 2010

Readathon Reviews Part One

Sorry this is so late, but with school and work, I'm a busy girl these days.  Luckily I graduate CNA school on the 22nds... assuming I don't screw up royally between now and then.  Prayers wouldn't hurt, if you're the praying sort. :)

I decided to review the manga and graphic novels first, and so here they are:

Odd Is On Our Side by Dean Koontz and Fred Van Lente and illustrated by Queenie Chan

Another manga prequel to the Odd Thomas series.  Fittingly enough the story takes place during Halloween.  In addition to the help of girlfriend Stormy, this manga introduces Little Ozzie and Terrible Chester, Cheif Wyatt Porter and a few other Pico Mundo residents not in the previous manga.  It's kind of amazing to see a world you know only from words brought into life.  While Little Ozzie didn't look exactly as I pictured him, his house, his porch and his cat, Terrible Chester, could have been conjured up from my imagination.  If you're and Odd fan, then you definitely want to check this out.  If you're not an Odd fan, then go read the series!  Then start the mangas.

Kick-Ass by Martin Millar and John Romita, Jr.

I saw the movie Kick-Ass, which is based on Millar's graphic novel, and enjoyed it very much despite the incredible amounts of violence that the previews had not prepared me for. I liked the graphic novel as well, although there were many differences- most notably the ending.  I really liked the idea of normal people putting on some tights (or scuba outfits) and helping to fight crime without possessing special powers.  It does make you wonder why no one's tried that before.  How many of us pretended to be Wonder Woman or Superman or some other superhero?  Of course I probably would have given superhero a career consideration if I could fly and shoot laser beams out my booty, but sadly these talents have yet to manifest.  Kick-Ass was a great choice for Readathon, but I really wish the pages had been numbered! 





 The Talisman Vol. 1: The Road of Trials by Stephen King and Peter Straub

Okay, first of all I loved the novel The Talisman and it's sequel The Black House.  So when I was browsing the graphic novel section for Readathon inspiration, I was more than happy to grab a copy of the first part of the Talisman.  During Readathon, I went from graphic novels to book, to graphic novel again.  Because I spent so much time cheering, it was nice to be able to read something quick like a graphic novel.  While I loved the Talisman, I did have a few complaints.  First, if you're not familiar with the story, I just don't see how you'd even know what was going on.  It's been quite a few years, and I really felt a bit confused at times.  Actually, that's my only complaint, other than the page numbering thingy.  It was wonderful seeing the story brought to life of Traveling Jack, and again if you're a fan, this graphic novel is for you.  If you still want to read it without reading the novel, then I'd recommend wiki-pedia-ing the story.  Otherwise, seriously, you'll be lost.  Still, beautiful graphics, and of course the story line is imaginative!

The Exile by Diana Gabaldon

This graphic novel is based on the book Outlander, but focuses mainly on Jamie (which is exactly what us readers wanted!).  I loved the illustrations and Jamie's expanded storyline.  I did have a wee bit of trouble telling some of Jamie's relatives at part at times, but I don't blame the graphics as much as I blame myself and the late hours I spent reading this (it was my last Readathon selection).  This is a must for any Outlander fan, although I would say that it's not necessary to have read the first book in order to enjoy the graphic novel.  I thought they did a fine job of explaining the storyline as the graphic novel unfolded, without being overly repetitive.  It was a great finish to my best Readathon yet! 





Here's some art from inside The Exile:


I don't know why red-headed men aren't considered attractive in some cultures, but I love me a ginger like Jamie!

Tomorrow I'll post the rest of my Readathon reviews, I'll be busy after school today finishing my re-read of To Kill A Mockingbird for tonight's book club meeting!   I got distracted by Impossible and Delirium.  *sigh*  I hate when real life intrudes on my reading time! 


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff! I have just downloaded a free Kindle book, Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Lucky me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all, the whole not numbering pages in graphic novels drives me absolutely crazy!!!!!!!!! I can't stand it! Now you have me really curious about Kick Ass. How is the ending different? No, just kidding, don't tell me. I'll have to suck it up and buy it myself. I'm planning on finishing Exile this weekend and I'm really excited. Oh, yeah, that reminds me...
    KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF JAMIE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished Outlander -- free from Amazon for Kindle and really liked it. I blogged about it at http://annettesbookspot.blogspot.com. I'm not really into graphic novels, but I might have to check this one out. I'm a new follower -- enjoyed all your reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva