Saturday, April 9, 2011

Readathon Update Hours 1-4


I will not blow up Google Reader too much today!  Instead I will make a post for every 4 hours and then just update it as necessary.

Surprisingly I was able to sleep last night so I am feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed (well, at least bushy eyebrowed- it's time for a wax, dearies!).  I can't wait to start reading, but I'm always afraid of missing something.  See, I like going to people's sites and cheering them on.  So even though I'm not scheduled to do so until the last few hours of readathon, you can bet you'll be seeing me around!

From Hour 1, a little introduction:

1)Where are you reading from today? Richmond, VA.  Or more precisely, from the floor of my living room where I have the spare room's mattress on the floor between the couch and the coffee table, loaded with pillows and blankets.

2)Three random facts about me…
1. I was on the Reading Team in high school, and we kicked ass!
2. I convinced 3 of my friends to participate in Readathon this year, Courtney, Katherine and Holly!
3. I used to eat mayonnaise sandwiches when I was a kid.  Yup, just mayonnaise and white bread.  If you're guessing that I must have been a fat kid, then you'd be right!

3)How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?
16 in the physical pile, and about 7 or so more for Kindle and audio.  Feel free to roll your eyes at my craziness.

4)Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)? Nope, just planning on reading, tweeting, cheering and hosting an awesome mini-challenge later!

5)If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, any advice for people doing this for the first time? Don't set any goals, read some small books, do some of the challenges, tweet and meet fellow bloggers, and mostly- SNACK!  Calories are non-existent in Readathon food- there's something magical about reading for 24 hours straight.
And most important, for today only:

REMOVE WORD VERIFICATION, PLEASE!

First book up: The Blackstone Chronicles Part 1: An Eye for and Eye The Doll by John Saul:

"A warm room leads to the appreciation of good books."- a quote from the town librarian in the book, Germaine Wagner.

Saul is no Stephen King, but the man writes creepy doll stories like a pro.  The series centers around the Blackstone Asylum, closed for many years but harboring many dark secrets.  Just as demolition on the inside is about to begin, to re-model the place into a shopping center, financing falls through.  A doll with ties to the asylum is sent from a shadowy figure to the family of Bill McGuire, the contractor for the project.  Both his little girl and his wife fall under the spell of the strangely pretty doll, and much evilness ensues.  Great book to start readathon with!

Next up: Sweet Valley High #31: Taking Sides by Francine Pascal (the first SVH I ever read!)

I have such a book crush on Jeffrey French!  Both Elizabeth's best friend, Enid, and Jessica's bff, Lila, are interested in the new boy- green-eyed, soccer playing Jeffrey French.  Both twins vow to help their friends secure the boy of their dreams, but he's got an eye on Liz!

This book just reaffirms my hate for Todd Wilkins.  I just can't understand throwing Jeffrey over for anyone (well, Nicholas Morrow was also a fine piece of SVH male flesh...).  Uh, oh, I think I'm losing touch with reality!  More than usual, that is.
Next up is The Postman Always Rings Twice by James McCain, but first I think I'm going to check out what challenges are going on!


How's your reading going?








Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. OK, because I am still waiting for the caffeine to kick start my higher brain functions I'm leaving the same cheer for you that I did for Bittner. It doesn't mean I love you less. It just means I suck as a cheerleader before double AM digits.

    "RAH,RAH,ROSS!
    Read-A-Thon your asses off!"

    This post is rated PG13 for mild profanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing your first book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me what you think!

    *set to the tune of the How funky is your Chicken? cheer in Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie!*

    How funky is your reading pile
    How funky is your reading pile
    How loose are your books
    Are books are totally loose
    So come on all you readers
    So come on all you readers
    and shake out your Proust
    and shake out your Proust!!!

    P.S. I left this on Holly's blog too! Apparently none of us have a sense of monogamy when it comes to our cheering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or how about this?

    How funky is Oscar Wilde
    How funky is Oscar Wilde
    How Loose is C.S. Lewis
    Lewis is totally loose
    So come on all you Poe fans
    So Come on all you Poe fans
    And shake out your Proust
    And shake out your Proust!!!

    GOOOOOOOOO READERS!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to eat mayonnaise sandwiches too. I love that cheer. You need to make it a post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great day of reading! Sweet Valley High brings back some pre-teen memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, I LOVE that you're reading SVH books. ;) Hope everything's going great for you so far!

    And reading team? Why didn't my high school have one of those!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had a great first 4 hours! Can't say I have ever tried a mayo sandwich though....might have too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva