Friday, April 1, 2011

Uninvited by Amanda Marrone
From Goodreads:

Jordan's life sucks. Her boyfriend, Michael, dumped her, slept his way through half the student body, and then killed himself. But now, somehow, he appears at her window every night, begging her to let him in.
Jordan can't understand why he wants her, but she feels her resistance wearing down. After all, her life — once a broken record of boring parties, meaningless hookups, and friends she couldn't relate to — now consists of her drinking alone in her room as she waits for the sun to go down.
Michael needs to be invited in before he can enter. All Jordan has to do is say the words....


My Thoughts:  This was not a must read for me. It had an interesting premise, but it took a long time for the action to really start and then it was over. It was an easy read, and it was enough to keep me reading until the end. There's a lot of drug use and underage drinking, but I don't feel the book glorifies it- if anything it shows that people do a lot of stupid, regrettable things while wasted. And there is some sex, but it's not graphic.

Although there was much in Jordan I couldn't relate to (keep in mind I'm 33 and have always been a nerd), her slight agoraphobia is something I can completely understand.  She wasn't a typical YA heroine, she was seriously flawed, which is nice to see once in awhile.  Jordan does show some growth throughout the novel- the moral being you can't really deal with your dead, vampire ex if you're high or drunk all the time.
 
Things are maybe a little too neat in the end, but it's still a different view to the YA vampire novels out there.  I loved the cover (it's gorgeous, no?) and the blurb, but I think what kept this from being a good read for me is that it didn't really deliver the story I was expecting.  Sometimes that's a good thing, and sometimes it's just a let down.  Although Uninvited was only okay for me, I am interested in reading further books by Marrone.


Uninvited gets a Midnight Book Rating of 9:30 pm.  It's not a typical YA vampire read, and that's okay with me. 




Another day, another horror movie to list from Dollar Bin Horror's Movie Challenge!

Day 10 - Your favorite psychological horror film:

Frailty.  What an awesome movie! I don't think this movie gets enough recognition.  It's a quiet movie but it packs quite a punch.   Watch it.  Today!





Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva