Sunday, April 10, 2011

Readathon Update Now Thru The End

First of all, a big thanks to everyone who made my Book Sentence Mini-Challenge a success! I'll be spending the next few days checking out every entry, but now's the time to announce the random winner:

Which makes the winner-winner-chicken-dinner, Michelle @ The True Book Addict!  I'll be emailing you to find out where you want you book gift certificate from.  Congratulations, and thank you!

*this is from the first Readathon I did, when we got #readathon to trend!

Okay, so I'm doing okay with reading, but mostly because I've chosen very slim books.  I am a bit tired, but here's what I've read since I last updated:

The Blackstone Chronicles Part Two: Twist of Fate: The Locket by John Saul- things get creepier, and the shadowy history of the asylum looms large. Part of me wants to grab the other four books and finish them tonight, but I think soon I'll need to switch to audio books.


Something Is Scratching At My Window by Roman Dirge- love him!  He writes and illustrates the Lenore comics (about a very cute little dead girl), and this is a wonderful (and wonderfully short) comic/graphic novel with a bunch of funny poems and gross, creepy drawings.  Which I of course love!

Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King- this is a re-read, I read it the first time while at Borders one day, but this is my very own copy.  It was just as good as I remember, the illustrations were great, and the length was perfect for readathon!  It's no The Stand or It, but it's entertaining. 

Next up: Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume. (started this, but not sure I'm going to finish it)

And then I'll return to Blood and Smoke audio by Stephen King whilst I do some late night cheering!

It's  3:36 am and I'm  still listening to Blood and Smoke, but I did take a quick break from it to read The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.

Decided to post this for The Wolf Reads mini-challenge:



For the Picturiffic Mini-Challenge, we have to post a picture of scene from our current read.  Right now I'm listening to the very end of Blood and Smoke by Stephen King- the short story In the Death Room.  The main character is tortured before he makes a bid for escape, so I found a picture of a torture chamber (one that wasn't too bloody!):


And for the Book Trailer Contest by Quirky Girl Reads:



Because it's creepy!




Hour 24 Questions
1. Which hour was most daunting for you? 11pm-Midnight.  I was really tired, but fortunately I had to pick a winner for my challenge, and it helped me power through.
2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I really tend to go for scary books, and I enjoyed the 2 Blackstone Chronicle books by John Saul- they're all under 100 pages. 
3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? We definitely need to push for more cheerleaders! 
4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I thought twitter worked really well for all of us- it's a great way to communicate- especially if there's a blogger who needs a little comment love, or if someone just needs a little encouragement.
5. How many books did you read? I finished 9- and the very end of an audio book I was listening to (please keep in mind my pile o'books had lots of slim novels and graphic novels!)
6. What were the names of the books you read?



Kate's 4-9-11-readathon book montage


The Postman Always Rings Twice
The Peach Keeper
32 Candles: A Novel
Something at the Window is Scratching
Eye for an Eye: The Doll
Taking Sides
Twist of Fate: The Locket
Cycle of the Werewolf
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing
Blood and Smoke
The Giving Tree
The Night Bookmobile



Kate's favorite books »

}

* I did not finish Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing or the Peach Keeper*
7. Which book did you enjoy most? The Night Bookmobile!
8. Which did you enjoy least? The Postman Always Rings Twice
9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? Make up lots of cheers beforehand, that way you have some good material for the later hours when you're brain is no longer working.
10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I will 100% be likely to participate in October!  I will cheerlead and host a challenge again, but I might try to help out more behind the scenes.  I wanted to this time but wasn't sure I could dedicate the time.
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. First of all, thanks for the win! I'm so excited. I'm answering your email now.

    Second, you're reading some awesome books. LOVE S. King and J. Saul. I think next read-a-thon I'm going to read some horror. I'm having my week long read-a-thon at the end of this month. Have you participated in my others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea on reading the slimmer books! Happy reading and thanks for cheering me on! Good luck with these last few hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a grisly picture indeed, but very appropriate for your book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep going, you can do it! *\o/*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you're still holding up this close to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you did really great! I loved your challenge BTW... I wanted to do it, but after staring at my books for like 15 minutes I gave up, LOL.

    LOVE that comic BTW, the one about the library card :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. DANGIT! How did I miss your fabulous mini-challenge?

    Nine?? I don't care that your downplaying that achievement with the whole "but they were slim volumes" nonsense. Good lord!

    Thanks for turning me on to Read-A-Thon. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but I read and that's what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to have missed your mini-challenge! I only did the first few and then my brain stopped functioning!

    Sounds like you had a great readathon! I definitely hope there are more cheerleaders in the fall--not sure what happened this time around but we were few and far between. :-/

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a creepy trailer! Thanks for playing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva