Saturday, April 9, 2011

Readathon Update Hours 5-13

I just finished my 3rd Readathon book- The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain.

Frank, a drifter, and Cora, unhappily married, meet and it's instant attraction.  Because they're both dumb, they decide to kill Cora's husband, but the first attempt goes wrong.  So they try again.  And then there's much police and court drama, and everyone is double crossing everyone else.  There's also a puma in the book.

I watched, and loved, the movie recently on TCM, and I was hoping the book was a bit better but it really wasn't.  The writing style wasn't for me, although it was a fairly quick read and worth my time.  I love murder plots, but I just shook my head over how dumb both Cora and Frank were.

So what are you reading?  Anything good?

I'm about to head out to grab some lunch, and I'll be listening to the audio 32 Candles by Ernessa T. Carter.

Back from eating, spent a little time cheering as I listened to the end of 32 Candles.  One of the best reads of the new year!  It's like the black, grown up version  of 16 Candles (the movie that the main character, Davie, is obsessed with).  It's part revenge novel, part chick lit and all humor.  This book made me laugh like a loon in my car, no doubt spurring many of my fellow road travelers to call a mental health institute on my behalf.  I cannot say enough how much I enjoyed listening to this book, it was just one of those random, happy library picks. 




Next up:  The Blackstone Chronicles Part 2, Twist of Fate: The Locket- still reading this (I took a power nap) but now I'm off to go pick the Hubs up from work so I'll be listening to Blood and Smoke by Stephen King.

Mid-Event Survey:
1. What are you reading right now? The 2nd book in the Blackstone Chronicles

2. How many books have you read so far? 3 and 1/2

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Cycle of Werewolf and The Book Nightmobile

4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day? Yes, I had to request off from work, I work a lot on the weekends as a cna/home health care worker.

5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Yes, I had to take the Hubs, and pick him up from work, plus taking the dog for walks.

6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? That we're not trending on twitter!

7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Ya'll always do a great job!

8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year? Last time I prepared more cheers prior to the event, and I wish I'd done that again!  I might try taking on more responsibility next year, help out a little more behind the scenes.

9. Are you getting tired yet? Yes, and I took a brief nap since I'll be cheering in the wee hours of the morning.

10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered? Just do what's fun for you.  My first readathon, I spent a lot of time on the challenges and had a blast, but now I'm more content to read, cheer and host a challenge myself. Don't be hard on yourself if you don't end up reading that much- this is a chance for all us book bloggers to be social!


Just finished The Blackstone Chronicles Part Two Twist of Fate: The Locket by John Saul, and here's what I thought:
Be careful picking up jewelery, you can go from fairly normal to crazy town in less than ten minutes. I really thought Jules was going to embark on a successful killing spree, but it turns out that he's a better banker than spree killer. I really wish I could give this series half stars on Goodreads, it deserves 1/2 star just for Rebecca's crazy aunt (which don't think I don't know was modeled after the crazy pants mom in Carrie by King). Still, it's a fun series for Readathon!
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I'm here from the cheer squad - looks like you're having a great Readathon so far! Keep on readin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going great!!! I hope you're having fun. Here's a cheer for you to keep you going: *\o/* *\o/* *\o/*

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great little cheer you left for me earlier! Definitely brought a big smile. Let me return the favor (with a simple encouragement) and wish you happy readings and second/third/fourth winds to carry you through this middle portion. Your review of 'The Postman Always Rings Twice' is my favorite of the day: "Because they're dumb..." Hahahaha!!! Love it! Keep up the great work! ~~~ Nolatari

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your readathon tower is hoooge! Good luck scaling that mountain. When you get to the top all us cheerleader will be there with encouraging words and food (leaves cookie trail up the book tower). Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time flies when you're having fun
    I can't believe we're halfway done
    You're going great, you're doing fine
    You'll finish that book in almost no time!

    And you totally rock for being a wee-hour cheerleader!! Wish I could help out. :-/

    Rock on Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck as we head into the last nine hours! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva