Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Anna and the French Kiss 
by Stephanie Perkins
From Goodreads:

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?
My Thoughts: I have to admit, I'm impressed.  I've seen lots of reviews on Anna and the French Kiss (hundreds of them!), and everything I've ever read has been positive.  Plus my some of my best friends have read and loved the book. I bought it months ago, when sadly I benefited off the closing of my local Borders, but it lingered like so many other books on my shelf.  So a few Sundays ago I made up my mind to just read it already. 

I read the first few chapters that day and was immediately happy with it. Anna was easy to empathize with, and the book is just flat out funny.  But then I put the book down.

Are you shaking your head at me?  You should.

In my defense I've had several review books that I've had to read the past two weeks.  So the other day I was just going to read a bit more and finally get past chapter 3, when suddenly I couldn't put the book down.

Needless to say that not a lot other than reading went down in my house, because housework can wait until the people from Hoarders show up and help me clean my house with shovels and stuff. 

Etienne and Anna... sigh.  Paris... sigh. Old movies on the big screen... sigh.  I fell in love. 

Afterwards I kind of cuddled the book... just a little. 

Don't worry, nothing got creased.  I'm a careful reader and cuddler. 

Oh, young love and its misunderstandings.  Please, read this book.  You know you want to!  And don't be put off by how wildly popular it is, because it's not just bunk, it's actually worth the hype.

Anna and the French Kiss gets a Midnight Book Rating of:



The cover gets a Midnight Book Cover Rating of:
It's okay, but it doesn't blow me away.  And where's her stripe?!
Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you loved it! (Although, there's not really much doubt when it comes to this book!!) But I have to agree with you, for such a wonderful book the cover really is just 'eh'!!
    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, how cold hearted would you have to be not to adore this book?

      Delete
  2. I read this book in like 4 hours yesterday while I was getting my car fixed. And I know what everyone says, but I think I liked Anna a bit better than Lola. Or maybe about the same? Idk, it's a tough call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, see books make waiting fun! It's okay if I don't like Lola as much, but I'm sure I'll like it.

      Delete
  3. I kind of cuddled the book too! I haven't gotten to Lola yet. Hopefully later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get to Lola either, but it won't be right away since I don't own it yet and have way too many books to read.

      Delete
  4. I want to go reread it now. I have a special stack of books on my headboard. It's mostly John Green, but Anna and the French Kiss is there, too. Without the cover, because the USPS lost it during shipping (my box broke)... I lost about a box and a half of books... unfortunately, since I, too, am a book hoarder, I really have no idea what was lost. There were still 10 or 11 boxes to unpack in addition to the books I already had here in VA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really managed to give away a lot this past move, since we just don't have as much space in our new place. It's just so hard to part with books! I'm a bit in awe of people who read them and give them away or those that can just read library books and don't need to own many books at all. Blows my mind. And don't get me started about USPS! I'm planning on mailing my books from BEA to here, but I'm so paranoid about them, it's like shipping off puppies or something...

      Delete
  5. My favorite part was the ending, because they actually talked about everything!!! And I agree about the cover, I like the one for lola and the boy next door better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that too, Bittner! It's so frustrating though, how much heartache could we all avoid if we were just honest and talked? I guess maybe it would bring on more heartache in certain relationships, but I always think it's better to know.

      Delete
  6. Ah, you joined the fan club. ;) Now you need to read Lola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need to read Lola! But I don't own it, and I'm really trying not to buy a lot of new books since I'm going to BEA in June and have a million (okay, just a little over a hundred or two) books on my TBR shelf. I will read it soon though!

      Delete
  7. I totally did not expect to like this book much, but Courtney and the girls from my book club luuuurrrvved it, so I borrowed it from Mandy. Or Tracy. Not sure which. Anyway, I ended up loving it! So I'm glad to see you did, too!

    "housework can wait until the people from Hoarders show up and help me clean my house with shovels and stuff" LOL!

    "Afterwards I kind of cuddled the book... just a little." Ha! I didn't cuddle this one, but I totally cuddled some John Green books and Cinder by Marissa Meyer! So I know what you mean!

    Great review, Kate, and I'm interested to see what you think of Lola! I liked that one better. (Ah, Cricket...) ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva