Monday, April 23, 2012

Glimmer Review

Glimmer
by Phoebe Kintadis
From Goodreads:
What if you forgot your identity and had to rely on other people to tell you who you were?

And what if to discover your true self, you first had to unravel a mystery so big and terrifying you were not sure you’d survive solving it?


When Marshall and Elyse wake up in each other’s arms with zero memory of how they got there or who they are, it’s the start of a long journey through their separate pasts and shared future.

Terrified by their amnesia, the two make a pact to work together to find the answers that could jog their missing memories. As they piece together clues, they discover they’re in the idyllic mountain resort town of Summer Falls, where everyone seems mysteriously happy, but as Marshall and Elyse quickly learn, darkness lurks beneath the town’s perfect facade. Not only is the town haunted by sinister ghosts, but none of its living inhabitants retain bad memories of anything—not the death of Marshall’s mom, not the hidden shame in Elyse’s family, not even the day-to-day anguish of high school.

Lonely in this world of happy zombies, Marsh and Elyse fall into an intense relationship...but the secrets they uncover could be the death of this growing love—and the death of everyone, and everything, they love in Summer Falls.
My Thoughts: Another YA amnesia book, but Glimmer managed to set itself apart and not be annoying with the soap opera drama of amnesia.  The entire book surprised me, and I found the plot wonderfully original.

There are so many elements to Glimmer, there's the Stepford like setting of Summer Falls, the ghosts, the magic, the heatnaps, the chemistry between Elyse and Marshall.  And I don't even like those names very much, so it's saying something that I ended up really liking the characters.  Plus, neither Elyse nor Marshall were perfect people, they were both flawed (especially Marshall), but their very realness is what makes you root for them to uncover their memories.

I really enjoyed reading about Elyse and her discovery of who she was, and how disappointed she was when she realized that she wasn't the person she expected to find out she was (the fact that she thought she was tall was actually pretty funny).  It also got me thinking, if my memory was wiped, what would I think of the person I am?  Would I be proud to have written this blog, to have read the books that line my many shelves or would I be disappointed that I'm obviously an inept housekeeper and that I've wasted most of my money on books?  It's actually a bit thought provoking...  

The town was super spooky and creepy.  It added to the atmosphere of the book, making me fear that both Elyse and Marshall wouldn't survive, let alone, succeed in their mission to figure out who they were, why they ended up naked in bed with each other, and why Summer Falls was so freakishly picture perfect.   And there was a small part of me that couldn't help thinking that it'd be nice not to have to remember the bad things that happen in life, the petty fights, the hurt feelings... the horrible accidents and dismemberment that happens occasionally in life.  That's the draw of dystopian worlds though,  they're often disguised as utopias.  Want to forget your troubles, literally and forever?  Come to Summer Falls!

There was a lot of elements in play in Glimmer, but they all worked for me.  Honestly, I was a bit turned off by the title of the book, because at first I just assumed that it was a YA story about faes or something along those lines.  I'm so glad I decided to give it a try after reading the summary though! 

Glimmer gets a Midnight Book Rating of:

The cover gets a Midnight Book Rating Cover of:

I actually really dig this cover (even if the cover model looks a lot like a super blonde Kiera Knightley).  I don't know that it really reflects what the book is about, but I guess having two naked teens on the cover would have been a little too much...

Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. I find this cover to be a little creepy, but it sounds really good. Perhaps I'll check it out in ebook format so I don't have to look at the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok so I just read the synopsis on Andrea's blog and there are zombies? Now I'm not so sure about this book.

      Delete
    2. No, Kim, there aren't any zombies. Remember how during Readathon and I was all walking around all stupid and I said I was walking like a zombie? It's more like that, the towns people in the book are just all zoned out. Not actually zombies. But there are ghosts.

      Delete
    3. That makes me feel better. But they should be careful how they through that word around! Since there are ghosts involved it sounds like a good book for the readathon so I am not off to the library to see if they have it!

      Delete
  2. Great Review! I am not a fan of the cover but I do think that the story sounds intriguing! I always love when a book is surprisingly good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a great book! loved your review. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I like how you started thinking about what you'd think about your life if you got amnesia like they did. Very thought-provoking! Hmm, would I wake up and think, "Why don't I work? And why all this damn Harry Potter stuff?" ;) Hopefully not. But it is interesting to think about!

    Great review, Kate, and I'm glad you enjoyed this one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books that make me think. This concept definitely intrigues me. :) And hahahaha... the last time you said YA can't do something, you were proven wrong. Next cover trend: Naked teens. God, I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is thought provoking! There are certain aspects of my life where if I had my memory wiped I might appreciate things for what they are instead of what I always wished them to be.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva