Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Midnight Quickie #1

This past year I've been really good about taking notes on the books I read, but sometimes I just want a quick, fun read and don't bother to take notes. Or, in the case of audiobooks, I'm listening mostly in my car and can't take notes safely.  Plus, half the time I don't even know how to spell the names of characters.  I've done mini-reviews in the past, but I am hereby calling them Midnight Quickies, which I know sounds mildly dirty.  And I'm okay with that. ;)
"I was sixteen the first time my grandmother died . . ."

Sarah Parsons has never seen Amber House, the grand Maryland estate that's been in her family for three centuries. She's never walked its hedge maze nor found its secret chambers; she's never glimpsed the shades that haunt it, nor hunted for lost diamonds in its walls.

But all of that is about to change. After her grandmother passes away, Sarah and her friend Jackson decide to search for the diamonds--and the house comes alive. She discovers that she can see visions of the house's past, like the eighteenth-century sea captain who hid the jewels, or the glamorous great-grandmother driven mad by grief. She grows closer to both Jackson and a young man named Richard Hathaway, whose family histories are each deeply entwined with her own. But when the visions start to threaten the person she holds most dear, Sarah must do everything she can to get to the bottom of the house's secrets, and stop the course of history before it is cemented forever.
Amber House by Kelly Moore, Tucker Reed, Larkin Reed
I listened to this audio at the beginning of the year and loved it!  See that gorgeous cover?  It actually matches what's inside this book. Tucker Reed narrates the audio and she really did a great job, it really felt like Sarah was telling her story.  This is the first book in a series, and I'm officially hooked.  Amber House reminds me of a slightly less sinister Rose Red or Overlook Hotel from Stephen King's writings, but it's got it's fair share of secrets and ghosts.  I'd definitely recommend this to anyone that loves mysteries and haunted houses.  I can imagine myself listening to this again before the next book comes out.  Loved it!!

Amber House gets a Midnight Rating of:

Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cover! And yes the title of this book is slightly dirty! But it suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the haunted house aspect of this book; can't wait to read it. Thanks for the "quickie" review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang. I just spent all my credits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the title Midnight Quickie! ;) This sounds really good. I love a good haunted house story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really do want to read this. I also blame you (and Courtney and Steph too) for making me want to sign up for audible so I can get more audio books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, I love the name "Midnight Quickie"! And this book does sound really good. I've got it on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva