Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Before Midnight Review

I love fairy tales.  I always have, and I can't imagine that will ever change.  I love fairy tales in movie, book, art and music form.  I'm just a fan.  I think it comes from my childhood crushes on Peter Pan and the handsome Prince from Sleeping Beauty.  Yes, I am aware that I had my earliest crushes on cartoon drawings, and no, I'm not aware of the long lasting damage that it may have had on my psyche, but I'm sure it has. 

In 2010 it came to my attention that many authors were as obsessed by fairy tales as I was.  I read Beastly by Alex Finn and quite enjoyed it, and it opened up the door to all sorts of re-imagined fairy tales.  For those of you new to my blog and thus unaware of my inability to stay off of the Library Police's Most Wanted List, I instead borrow my books Netflix style through BookSwim.  Like Netflix, your books ship not necessarily in the order you have listed, but in the order that they come available.  And I just add at will, and rarely pay attention to the order anyway.  I do get to guarantee a book per shipment, but the other two slots are a crap shoot, but somehow they almost always come in at the right time.  

So I was excited to see Before Midnight by Cameron Dokey in my book package.  And I devoured the book last night.  It's a lovely, well-written tale of Cinderella.  There were some twists in the end that I figured out beforehand, but it did not take away from my delight in the novel.  It's a short read, under 200 pages, but I think I would have finished it in one sitting even if it had been 400 pages.

From Goodreads:

Etienne de Brabant is brokenhearted. His wife has died in childbirth, leaving him alone with an infant daughter he cannot bear to name. But before he abandons her for king and court, he brings a second child to be raised alongside her, a boy whose identity he does not reveal.




Before Midnight gets a Midnight Book Rating of Midnight, it was magical and wonderful and if you love fairy tales than you must read this book!










Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I have a friend who owns this entire series of books (the Once Upon a Time series?) and devours them like crazy. Knowing that I love fairy tale retellings as well, she loaned me a few and I was addicted.

    I would suggest some of Robin McKinley's work too if you love a good fairy tale. Beauty, Rose Daughter, and Spindle's End are all wonderful reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this cover! I shall have to keep this in mind for 2011 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! They are the greatest books ever, but I've been consistently pleased with the books in the Once Upon a Time series. Have you read any others?

    I am so happy that you mention you love fairy tales! I do too! They make me so happy! :)

    BTW, Misty @ The Book Rat (if you don't follow her, you should. Her blog is great) and I are going to have a Fairy Tale Fortnight event in April, and I'd love to see you there! It's still in the early planning stages, so if you wanted to help participate, that would be awesome also! Guest posts and reviews are totally welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva