Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May & June

(summary taken from Goodreads)

Three sisters, three extraordinary, life-changing powers!

I hugged my sisters and they fit against my sides like two jigsaw pieces that would never fit anywhere else. I couldn’t imagine ever letting them go again, like releasing them would be to surrender the best parts of myself.

Three sisters share a magical, unshakable bond in this witty high-concept novel from the critically acclaimed author of Audrey, Wait! Around the time of their parents’ divorce, sisters April, May, and June recover special powers from childhood—powers that come in handy navigating the hell that is high school. Powers that help them cope with the hardest year of their lives. But could they have a greater purpose?

April, the oldest and a bit of a worrier, can see the future. Middle-child May can literally disappear. And baby June reads minds—everyone’s but her own. When April gets a vision of disaster, the girls come together to save the day and reconcile their strained family. They realize that no matter what happens, powers or no powers, they’ll always have each other.

Because there’s one thing stronger than magic: sisterhood.

My thoughts:  I liked this book, it was a fast, easy read.  But it didn't blow me away.  I felt the build up promised a lot bigger finish then what was actually delivered.  That said, it's a realistic view into the lives of three sisters- at least to me, but I have no sisters and all my brothers are much older than me.  I enjoyed that the sisters could love and dislike each other all at the same time.  I liked the supernatural aspect of their lives (although I do think May got gypped on her power, it was a bit lame). 

I was excited to win this book in a giveaway a few months ago, but just recently got to it.  I meant to give the book to my 19yr old niece for Christmas, but I started reading it and ended up giving her a couple of other books instead.  I will pass this on to her though because I think she'd like it.

The book is told from the viewpoint of all three sisters- starting with eldest April, then middle May, and finally June.  I enjoy reading books where the same event is looked at from different viewpoints and this book does not diasappoint.  And while there is some romance going on for the sisters, their relationship with each other is the focus of the book.  I disliked the ending because I felt there was a lot left unexplained- like what the heck was up with Avery?  I felt like she was a huge mystery, and I would have liked to see more of her.  And I'm not sure I quite get why the family had to move after May had her wild rebellion night, or why the heck June wanted to be friends with Mariah, well, other than her perfect hair. Overall it was a good, not great, not fantastic-mind-blowing-oh-my-God-you-have-to-read-this-now, read. 

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May & June by Robin Benway gets a Midnight Book Rating of 10pm, although for my younger subscribers it might be more like a 11pm.  I am interested in reading more of Benway's books and felt that she captures the teen voice fairly accurately. 


Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I've heard this is a lot of fun, but I'll be sure to keep your thoughts in mind. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one at all. Sounds like a good beach book...one I don't have to think too much about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can the ability to disappear be lame? Maybe she just wasn't taking full advantage of it. Wait, is having the ability to disappear different from having the ability to be invisible?

    P.S. I'm not sure I'll read this one. I'm not much of a fan of sister books.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva