Monday, October 3, 2011

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest Review

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest
by Stieg Larrson
From Goodreads:
The Trial
Lisbeth Salander, outsider and apparent enemy of society, is charged with attempted murder. In addition, the state has determined that she is mentally unstable and should be locked away in an institution once again.

The Enemy
Pulling the strings behind the state's prosecution is the inner circle of the Swedish security police. Only with Blomkvist's help can Salander avoid the fate they have decided for her and expose the secrets they are protecting.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest
Lisbeth Salander has been abused by a system supposedly designed to protect. And yet she is the one person whose intransigence and limitless bloody-mindedness can provoke the disruption of the Swedish secret state.

This final volume of the Millenium Trilogy is the culmination of one of the most mesmerising fictional achievements of our time.
 My Thoughts:  How much do I love this series!  There is no way that I can express my love for all three books and my intense sadness that there won't be any more Blomkvist and Salander adventures. I loved the movies, but the books are so rich in detail and characters that it's impossible not grow attached to them.  Salander's past is explored, and Blomkvist goes to great lengths to work with his sister to save Salander from a justice system that seems to be already against her (and oh, do her enemies come out of the woodwork!).  The very first book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo starts off much slower then the last two books, but in this final book I blazed through it, eager to read more and more.  I'm sure if you haven't read these books you've been told that you simply must.  And all that is true.  Lisbeth Salander has become one of my all time favorite characters, up there with Odd Thomas, Mr. Darcy, Cujo and John Wayne Cleaver.  I'm even looking forward to the American version of the first book, although I doubt that it'll be as good as the Swedish movies.  I watched the movies first, I must confess, but the books have quickly won my affections.  And I got more Dr. Jonassaon!  I loved the actor so much from the movies, it was nice to see him even more in the books and the lengths he goes to help Salander... *sigh*, missed opportunity there, Lisbeth, in my humble opinion.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest gets a Midnight Book Rating of:
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I know I read the first book for book club but after reading your blog I feel as if I didn't read it at all. I mean I thought it was good but I didn't love it. Of course I was just trying to force my way through it so that I could finish it before book club met that night so maybe I wasn't really focused. Maybe someday I'll give the series another shot...maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva