Monday, October 17, 2011

October '11 Readathon Pile O'Books

It's almost here!  While I embrace Readathons in general, Dewey's 24 Readathon holds a special place in my heart and it's what led to me starting a book blog.  I really wish I'd had an opportunity to know Dewey, but I think it's amazing how she continues to bring the book blogging community together. 

This will be my third October Readathon, my very first was on Oct. 24, 2009 (my how times flies!) and here's how it all started for me:
Good morning,  my book reading minions!  In just 20 minutes the frenzied sound of books opening up all over the world will freak out those non-readers of the planet.  They will pause, tilt their heads, and wonder What the heck was that sound?  But we will know it is the  sound of hundreds of books opening up, some for the first time, others, well read perhaps even tattered and worn, for the hundredth time.  I can't wait!!!
And here's my very first Readathon Pile O'Books ever:
 Now, how many books did I get to? Not a lot, I had to work overnight that first Readathon (before I learned to request the day off like I have every other Readathon). I made a lot of mistakes with this first pile, severely over estimating my reading speed.  Seriously, It? Maybe all on it's own I could read in 24 hours, but with this huge pile?  I ended up getting to Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror, 20th Century Ghosts and some of the Vampire Diaries. And I totally didn't read the whole time.

So I've learned a lot- a huge stack is still a good idea, if only to give yourself lots of options if you get bored or tired.  Short stories, graphic novels, kid's books- all good, especially if you need an ego boost for your reading speed.  I end up tweeting a lot, and I love cheering and I've hosted a few challenges.  So here's my Readathon Pile O'Books for this coming Saturday:

 Main Pile

Back-Up Pile
I also have plenty of books on my Kindle, but the main one I plan on getting to is the short story Mile 81 by Stephen King:

So those are my reading plans, soon I'll be shopping for Readathon snacks, which is always fun!  I am volunteering at an Octoberfest the night before Readathon, which has me a little nervous, but I'm just going to limit the amount of alcohol I have, and maybe pick up some yummy German goodies to snack on for Saturday morning.  

So have you signed up yet?  What are you waiting for?!  You don't have to read the entire time, if that's what's holding you back.  Let me know that you're participating and I will make it a point to stop by your blog with some special cheers (even if I'm not officially assigned to your blog because I always end up cheering more than my fair share).  And speaking of Cheer- please consider taking some time out to cheer on fellow readers.  And for the love of Books, please turn off word verification during the Readathon.  There's less than 50 cheerleaders for over 300 blogs, so it saves us a lot of time and frustration when you make it easier for us to post our clever, witty, inspiring cheers!

Looking forward to seeing your pile o'books! And snacking plans, got to love the excuse to get your food on!
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I loved Relic, the book and the movie.

    The Wake trilogy was so good, but I haven't enjoyed the standalones.

    Have fun reading, lots of goodies on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your blog theme, very Halloweeny ;)

    I'll be cheering you on for this readathon. I never get to join them, My weekends are always booked! one of these days though :)

    I"ll be cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never even heard of the Readathon but it sounds awesome, I'm off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva