Friday, October 7, 2011

A Killer Plot Review

A Killer Plot (A Books by the Bay Mystery #1)
by Ellery Adams
From Goodreads:
In the small coastal town of Oyster Bay, North Carolina, you'll find plenty of characters, ne'er-do-wells, and even a few celebs trying to duck the paparazzi. But when murder joins this curious community, the Bayside Book Writers are there to get the story...

Olivia Limoges is the subject of constant gossip. Ever since she came back to town-a return as mysterious as her departure-Olivia has kept to herself, her dog, and her unfinished novel. With a little cajoling from the eminently charming writer Camden Ford, she agrees to join the Bayside Book Writers, break her writer's block, and even make a few friends...

But when townspeople start turning up dead with haiku poems left by the bodies, anyone with a flair for language is suddenly suspect. And it's up to Olivia to catch the killer before she meets her own surprise ending.
My Thoughts: This was my very first official Cozy Mystery! And I have to say it was a great introduction into the genre. I'm intrigued by Olivia, love Haviland (despite the fact that I rarely enjoy poodles of any size), and was genuinely interested in not only the book writer's club members, but the stories they are working on (hello, Millay's YA book would sell like hot cakes in today's market!). I loved Dixie, Michel, Camden and Sawyer, and even  Flynn is okay- though he get's major points for his Through The Wardrobe book store. I really got a great sense of what Oyster Bay looks like, and it's clear what a book lover Ellery Adams is.

Another plus? Adams lives here in VA, so not only did I get to read a really good mystery but I also got to support a local author. I already have the second Books by the Bay Mystery awaiting me on my Kindle, and I can't wait for more! I think by the end of this year I'll be a total cozy-mystery lover!  I've since read several cozies, and while I won't ever be exclusive with the genre as I enjoy so many different types of books, a good cozy is quickly becoming my favorite rainy day kind of read.  A Killer Plot is a book to curl up with, a glass of wine or a cup of coffee in hand, and to get lost in the plot.  It's a chance to play at being Nancy Drew, and isn't she a part of all of us?



A Killer Plot gets a Midnight Book Rating of: 

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I'm still a little uncertain on what defines a true "cozy". So, I'm not sure if I've ever actually read one. But the book I picked for book club "I Dreamed I Married Perry Mason", I'm almost certain it was classified as a cozy.

    This book did sound really interesting though so I'm glad you liked it. I'm always nervous when I'm diving into a knew series, because I don't like to feel committed to reading all of them, but I just might have to give this one a shot...next year though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun rating system you have!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva