Sunday, October 2, 2011

Scott Pilgrim Reviews 3-5

I started the year off by reading the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels.  I so loved the movie that I just wanted a little bit more.  I have the 6th one in my Readathon Pile, and since I'm trying to catch up on all my reviews here's some mini-reviews for the one's I've neglected writing about.

Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness
by Bryan Lee O'Malley
From Goodreads:
Ramona's third evil ex-boyfriend, Todd Ingram, is currently dating the former love of Scott Pilgrim's life! Envy Adams broke Scott's heart a year and a half ago. Now she and her evil art-rock band are back, and they're getting Scott's band to open a show two days from now! That's just enough time for Scott to fight Todd, keep Ramona happy, fend off demented ex-girlfriends, and practice that new setlist. Right?? Don't miss the latest chapter in the graphic novel saga The Globe and Mail calls "Canada's answer to Tank Girl!"
My Thoughts: Another fun read! I really enjoyed Scott's back story with Envy, and watching Knives get her highlights smacked out of her is as humorous on the page as it was in the movie. And I really could not love Wallace more!  For me the best part of the graphic novels is all the history of the characters that the movie wasn't able to fit in.  I liked that you get to see how close Scott was once with Envy.  


Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together
by Bryan Lee O'Malley
From Goodreads:
That's right, folks! Put down the video game controller! Skip that rehearsal for your band! Make whatever sacrifices you must to those comic gods you hold so dear! Just make sure you're ready because Bryan Lee O'Malley and Scott Pilgrim are back! Well, a couple months have passed since the last time we caught up with our intrepid hero, but what can change in a few short months? Well, not much has... Scott's still living with his roommate Wallace Wells. He's still playing in a mediocre rock band named Sex Bob-omb. And most importantly, he's still dating the lovely Ramona Flowers while working his way through the gaggle of superpowered, superstylish, superevil ex-boyfriends determined to take him down. But something is different. Don't look now, but Scott Pilgrim may actually be getting it together. And it's a good thing, too, because Scott is about to confront Ramona's most intimidating ex yet!
 My Thoughts: The One With Ramona's Ex-Girlfriend, or at least that's what it'd be called if it was a Friend's episode.  You get a lot more Knives Chau in these comic's than you do in the movies and Scott learns the meaning of the *L* word, well, both meanings.  ;)

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The Universe
by Bryan Lee O'Malley
From Goodreads:
Scott Pilgrim just turned 24, and things couldn't possibly be better! This means things are about to get infinitely worse! Suddenly, TWO of Ramona's evil ex-boyfriends are in town, and they're playing dirty. His band is in turmoil, and his own exes aren't making things any easier. And what's up with Ramona, anyway? She's been acting kinda weird ever since they moved in together! Scott's precious little life is coming back around to bite him in the butt, and it may not be pretty!
 My Thoughts: More Kim!  Seriously, of all the Scott Pilgrim character's Kim is my favorite.  I like her in the movie, but she's so much better in the graphic novels.  And after finally getting it together, Scott's overall laziness and his mishandling of the breaking up with Knives and hooking up with Ramona comes back to bite him in the hiney. 

It's been a long time since I've read the first 5, but I'm getting really excited to finish the series during Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon.  I think any or all of these books would make great additions to any readathon pile, in fact any graphic novel that doesn't suck is a good idea. 

Scott Pilgrim Volumes 3-5 all get a Midnight Book Rating of:

They're cool, their quirky, they're tragically hip- you will feel so much more awesome just by reading them!
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love that movie! And I read the first graphic novel and loved it too! I should run by the library tomorrow and see if they have the rest because I'm still pretty far from my goal of 111 for the year and those I could get through with no problem!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva