Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tempest Rising Review

Tempest Rising (Jane True #1)
by Nicole Peeler
From Goodreads:
Living in small town Rockabill, Maine, Jane True always knew she didn't quite fit in with so-called normal society. During her nightly, clandestine swim in the freezing winter ocean, a grisly find leads Jane to startling revelations about her heritage: she is only half-human.

Now, Jane must enter a world filled with supernatural creatures alternatively terrifying, beautiful, and deadly- all of which perfectly describe her new "friend," Ryu, a gorgeous and powerful vampire.

It is a world where nothing can be taken for granted: a dog can heal with a lick; spirits bag your groceries; and whatever you do, never-ever rub the genie's lamp.

If you love Sookie Stackhouse, then you'll want to dive into Nicole Peeler's enchanting debut novel.
My Thoughts: Fast, fun read! Paranormal/urban fantasy isn't my usual genre (unless you count the Sookie Stackhouse novels, which I love, and my brief relationship with the Anita Blake series, which I ended up disliking). I have always loved the covers of the Nicole Peeler books, but I didn't think that I'd like the story. Then I finally read the sample on my Kindle, and immediately found myself really liking and relating to Jane. If I didn't already have a towering Readathon pile, I'd get the 2nd book in the series, because this is a series to devour. 

Jane was surprisingly easy to identify with (I like swimming a lot too, considering the possibility that I might be half selkie), and Ryu makes for a very sexy male lead.   I love that Jane works in a book store, and there's a hilirious bit in the beginning when Jane's arch enemy comes into the store and is buying her monthly supply of romance novels.  Turns out the woman has very specific taste in romance genre:
“She liked a very particular kind of plot: the sort where the pirate kidnaps some virgin damsel, rapes her into loving him, and then dispatches lots of seamen while she polishes his cutlass. Or where the Highland clan leader kidnaps some virginal English Rose, rapes her into loving him, and then kills entire armies Sassenachs while she stuffs his haggis. Or where the Native American warrior kidnaps a virginal white settler, rapes her into loving him, and then kills a bunch of colonists while she whets his tomahawk. I hated to get Freudian on Linda, but her reading patterns suggested some interesting insight into why she is such a bitch.”
As soon as I read this I knew Tempest Rising was going to be a good read.  I appreciate good snark.

Tempest Rising gets a Midnight Book Rating of: 
Here's the other books in the series:
Aren't those awesome books covers?! 
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I find snark underestimated - you can never have too much! :) LOVE your blog, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,

    Hi there! You were one of the participant winners for the read-a-thon on day three. I announced it on the blog, but you must not have seen it. Please go to the prize page http://castlemacabre.blogspot.com/2011/10/frightful-fall-read-thon-prize-page.html and choose your prize. Email me your choice at truebookaddictATgmailDOTcom

    Congrats!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, kate, the cover art is beautiful but I'm hesitant that I'll really get into the book because I'm not so sure it's me. I'm glad you liked it though, I bet you are part selkie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Fantasy Lass, but Lori over at Use Your Imagination Designs (although it's changing to Imagination Designs soon) designed it for me and I love it too!

    Michelle: You made my frakking day!

    Bittner: It's funny, but I don't feel the need to force this one on you. I think Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs would be more to your liking, if you ever are in need of supernatural romance with humor.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva